Au Co's Programs
- Vietnamese Language Program
A program that teaches the Vietnamese language and cultural tradition
- Vietnamese Zither Class
Learn how to play "Đàn Tranh"
- Cultural Development Program
Annual traditional and cultural events
- Leadership Development Programs
Develop leadership skills through participation in activities in communities
- Au Co's Programs for Seniors
Special programs for seniors for health, and bridging generation gap
The Weekend Vietnamese Program serves children from 5 to 17.
The Weekend Vietnamese Program teaches the Vietnamese language and cultural traditions. Classes are on Saturday, approximately 3 and a half-hour each. Program for each grade level meets about 36 times in a year with 2 semesters and normally follows the schedule of SF public schools.
- Basic: learn how to read Vietnamese using "spelling" method, learn to speak in Vietnamese
- Intermediate: reading comprehension, improving speaking skills, and writing literacy.
To attain Basic level, a student must successfully complete Grade Level 1, 2, 3 and 4. To attain Intermediate level, students must successfully complete Grade Levels 5 and 6. Kindergarten is for 5 year-old kids only.
Goals of Class Levels
- Be familiar with Vietnamese alphabet and five accent marks
- Learn to speak simple and daily practical Vietnamese statements
- Learn traditional good behavior for kids
- Learn to read Vietnamese and be familiar with five accent marks
- Learn to speak Vietnamese fluently
- Learn traditional characters, good behaviors of the Vietnamese
- Improve reading comprehension at an intermediate level
- Begin essay writing
- Learn traditional characters and morality, traditional values and heritage of the Vietnamese
Textbook & Teaching Materials
Textbooks and teaching materials are written in Vietnamese by grade level to attain the goals of each grade level. Textbooks for Grade Level 1, 2, 3 and 4 are intended for beginners with age from 6 to 9. The materials still can be used to teach beginners who are older than 10, but they may learn at a faster pace.
Textbooks and materials for basic level (Grade Level 1, 2, 3, 4) and K are written using picture to illustrate a word using a syllable learnt.
Textbooks and materials for intermediate level (Grade Level 5, 6) are written with the purpose of improving reading comprehension and basic writing skill for essay.
Please read “How to Use Textbook” section of each textbook for more information.
- speak common Vietnamese vocabulary and statements
- introduce and educate traditional good behaviors of Vietnamese children
- introduce Vietnamese alphabet and accent marks
- read Vietnamese by "spelling" method, know the accent marks
- speak Vietnamese fluently
- Introduce and educate traditional good behaviors of Vietnamese children
- reading comprehension, improving reading and speaking skills
- teaching grammar and sentence structure for writing
- introducing traditional morality and values, culture and heritage, Vietnamese history, country, and the people, including famous figures and heroes
- introducing some Vietnamese legends or historical stories.